Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Red Willow Vineyards



I had a great day painting at the Red Willow Vineyards, in the Yakima Valley. I am working on a big painting for Bennett's Bistro, on Mercer Island, and wanted to get out there to make some studies. I met Mike Sauer, who let me run around and set up my easel on his hillsides.  Mike has been on this land for years -- he was one of the first grape growers in the Yakima Valley. He took the great photos on Red Willow's website. The little chapel on the hill was built from rocks cleared from the land, and has become a real local landmark.  Mike sent me home with a nice bottle of wine from his vines, and I left him with a souvenir painting (the one on the easel), a picture of his chapel. It was a great way to spend a beautiful fall day. 

No comments: